1. I have the best husband in the world. We were just coming off a 2 week vacation/family reunions. The original plan was to fly back all together, and then I would catch an early morning flight to Atlanta for the Haven Conference. My flight was canceled, so we made some changes. I said goodbye to my husband, 5 kids, 7 carryons, 5 backpacks, 1 laptop bag, 1 stroller, 1 big honkin’ checked bag, 1 carseat, and 2 boosters in Houston. I flew to Atlanta, (by myself…in a glorious ROW to myself!) while they flew back to Baltimore, spend the night in a hotel, the next day they drove 5 hours back home, then drove my oldest daughter up to our church girls camp that afternoon. He is the BEST.
2. If you go to a blog conference, it’s helpful to have blog/business cards to hand out This is obvious, right?? Wrong~I am so dumb. I had the best intentions of getting some business cards printed up before the vacation, but in the craziness, it never happened. Everyone exchanges cards, puts cards in for drawings, leaves cards with sponsors, etc. and all I had was my coupon envelope/notepad to scribble some notes on and this is what I found when I opened it up:
next year, I WILL have cards! (and maybe win something??)
3. Haven was not your typical business conference. I was blown away with the “I want to help you” attitude everywhere, all around. The classes were all based on this is what I found to be successful, let me share my secrets! Amazing.
My husband attends conferences often for his work, and couldn’t believe the stuff I came back with and how willing everyone was to share and collaborate on how to become better at blogging, advertising, monetizing, painting, staining, PR, photography, styling, etc. I learned more in the classes in a few hours than I would ever be able to pull together after weeks of research/reading online.
4. The people behind the blogs you read are real. With huge hearts, dreams, insecurities, families, fears, doubts, huge to-do lists, worries, goals, comparisons, just like you do. I can’t tell you what it does for the soul to sit down and talk with them and know you are not alone in what you are thinking/feeling/how do you??? That is the true magic of blog conferences. The, meeting, the talking and the heart to heart connections. And it’s the best if you can go with your SISTER!
thank you, Sarah @ the Thriftress!
thank you, Janet for the pic!
I knew Haven was going to be good. I got a few glimpses at the beginning when there were talks of a conference geared for diy/home décor blogs and was so excited for what was coming. But these girls knocked my socks off with what they pulled together. What a powerhouse team~I have come to “know” each of these ladies through the past 4 years of blogging, and love each one of them.
5. You will love your family even more when you come back. And it might take you a week to get back into blog stuff, even though you just learned a ton about blogging…but that’s okay.
Many more Haven recaps over at Rhoda’s…I’m linking up!