Well, today is a happy day because we are giving away three of my favorite books of the summer: The Nesting Place by the Nester (Myquillyn Smith)
A little background: The Nester was the first home décor blog that I discovered almost 6 years ago. I honestly couldn’t believe that there was someone else that loved to go to yard sales and thrift stores and make a beautiful home on a budget and she had made a blog of it!
She told us that it was okay to rip and hot glue fabric, expensive custom made curtains were not necessary, and to go ahead and paint that heirloom dresser. I have been hooked ever since and she was a major inspiration for this blog. Quite honestly, when her book came out, I wondered how she would be able to write about anything that I hadn’t already read on her blog because I feel like I “know” her so well. But it is was full of new perspectives and stories with the same undertone that her blog is built on: “it doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful.”
What I love about it:
* a good story. She tells about each of the 13 houses that her family has lived in, how they got into some major debt and had to move a lot, and how she learned about embracing the unknown and imperfections.
* beautiful experiences, quotes, and pictures that tell her story of realizing what home is meant to be: “instead of seeing imperfections as thorn in my decorating flesh, I want to open my eyes and see them as signs of life.” –pg. 62
To stop apologizing “…I realized that when I apologize for my home, I’m declaring to all that I’m not content. That I’m silently keeping score. That I put great importance on the appearance of my home and maybe, just maybe, I’m doing that when I visit your home, too.” p.61
* defining the true purpose of your home. p. 67
* for women with opiniated people in their lives p.89
* every house has a redeeming quality – “the best way to start creating a beautiful home is by being grateful for what you already have.” p. 111
* how Anna Nicole Smith and visitingTanzania helped her come to reality about what home was meant to be. p.182
* and just some good, solid money saving tips for decorating and furnishing your home. p. 125
It is the #1 Best Seller in Interior Design on Amazon, read the other reviews if you are still on the fence! It is just a book that will change your perspective on home and perhaps on life, no matter what circumstances you are in.
We’re giving away 3, just tell me in the comments why you would love this book, and make sure I have a contact email for you.
I hope you love is as much as I did.
Happy summer reading!