This is the best time of year to buy appliances -- right before Black Friday! I wanted to share my thoughts on the appliances we purchased this same time 2 years ago: the good, bad, and ugly.
LG 26.8 French Door Refrigerator $1698 I can’t recommend this one -- our ice maker went out after a year! But we use ice a LOT. We bought a new icemaker on Ebay, they are easy to install.
And the darn side plastic milk bins, couldn’t someone make these a lightweight metal these days?
My sil Kristine got this same fridge and she says: the ice always is stuck together and I have to bang it do break up the ice in the dispenser. And be SO careful about magnets on any stainless steel or even rough cloths! They scratch :(
Pros: the little beeping alarm goes on if the fridge or freezer have been open for more than 20 seconds.
GE 36 inch gas cooktop $719: No complaints! Easy to use and comes apart easily to clean, heats quickly. I’m no gourmet chef though…
Frigidaire 30 inch Double Oven with Convection $2100 -- we got these for $1699 2 years ago, not sure why they are so much more this year. I love having double ovens!! We use them all of the time. I love the timed bake feature, the quick broil, the keep warm, self cleaning. These also have some of the quietest cooling fans I have heard.
Cons: did you know Papa Murphy’s family size pizzas or big Costco/Sam’s Club pizzas can’t fit in wall ovens?? We have to cut them in half or just go with larges. And sometimes the lower oven can be hotter on the bottom.
* Bosch 24” Dishwasher $599 I love it! It’s so quiet, cleans beautifully, works best with rinse aid.
Cons: it’s so quiet, when visitors are here and are trying to start it they don’t know if it’s going or not because the panel is on the top and you can’t see it unless you pull it out. My bottom wheel fell off too (or a little boy may have ran off with it!) I need to get another one because it doesn’t come out smoothly.
If I were buying appliances today, these are the ones I would go after:
* High End: Kitchen Aid Architect Series II $798 at Home Depot. Top rated in Consumer Reports -- this Kitchenaid was my favorite dishwasher ever.
* My sil Kristine has this Bosch and LOVES it. Her only complaint is that it doesn’t have a handle for a towel and that the cycle is long, but they are clean.
Mid end: Kenmore 24” Smartwash Dishwasher only $297 when you use code SEARS350FF300 at checkout.
* LG Front Loader $499 -- we still love ours! Washes well, has a speed cycle, no complaints!
* LG Dryer $499 -- we love this dryer except ours has the steam cycle, I think it’s worth the extra money, but you can always throw in a wet handtowel as well. :)
* Amana French Door Refrigerator $1299
* and remember this deal at Home Depot, if you are buying more than 1 appliance. Also, shop around! Most will match or even beat each other’s prices and give you free shipping too.
I would love to hear if you have an appliance you LOVE. Or one you don’t! Let us know in the comments ~