This is what I did with Elisabeth’s recipe:
1. Start the dough – (or use store bought pizza dough!)
The dough I used was my stand-by never fail me Our Best Bites breadstick/pizza dough—it whips up in 10 minutes.
1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 1/2 c. flour
In a large bowl (the bowl of your mixer, if you have one), combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. *this is key--if yeast is not bubbly after 10 minutes, I would throw it out and try again
Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and your humidity) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.
2. While you are waiting for your yeast to rise, take 1/2 lb of italian sausage and 1/2 lb of hamburger and brown them together.
2. Mix in a bottle of your favorite spaghetti sauce and pour into a 9X13 dish.
3. Cover generously with your favorite cheese.
4. Take your pizza dough and spread on the top. Mine was probably too thick, but my family really loved it this way.
5. Bake for the directions of your dough (mine was 425 degrees for about 15 minutes)\
My family devoured it and we have made it twice since and my 13 year old proclaims she wants it for her birthday dinner. (wait..what??)
The ingredients are nothing new, but it is a fun change. Thank you again, Elisabeth!!
Here’s to finding a good recipe~have you found any that your family loves lately? I’m still trying out a bunch that I got from my request – I’ll keep you posted.