This is a simple salad but it’s sooooo good. It’s the one I always get a request for when I make it for company or bring it to a gathering.
The secret ingredient: this English cheddar that I buy at Costco – sweet & rugged and it crumbles perfectly – it is divine with the lemon poppyseed dressing. This cheese was introduced to me by GoToRecipes on Instagram in another salad she shared that is also soooo good –she has the best recipes.
Lightly toss together:
- Spring mix salad mix (or just whatever dark greens + spinach you have on hand)
- Coastal English cheddar cheese, crumbled
- Dried cherries (or cranberries, I like the cherries)
- slivered almonds (you can caramelize them if you like)
- thinly sliced apples or pears (dipped in lemon juice to prevent browning if it will be awhile before adding dressing)
Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil (whatever I have on hand: canola, vegetable, or olive)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion powder, mustard and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running add oil in a slow steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix. Toss with salad right before serving.
My top 3 popular recipe posts:
1. Banana bars